Musk’s SpaceX successfully deploys US GPS satellite into orbit
What in news:
· A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket climbed into orbit on with the GPS 3 satellite designed to beam higher-power positioning, navigation and timing signals around the world.
· A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket climbed into orbit on with the GPS 3 satellite
· It was SpaceX's fifth attempt following technical and weather delays.
· Billionaire Elon Musk-owned SpaceX has successfully launched and deployed a powerful next-generation GPS navigation satellite into orbit.
· It made the company’s first-ever US government-sanctioned national security space mission.
· The $529 million GPS 3 satellite is the first of 10 being built by Lockheed Martin.
Uses of GPS 3 Satellite:
· “Multiple data streams will enable receivers in aircraft, for example, to compensate for atmospheric effects that might otherwise reduce accuracy
· The satellite would provide data for use by devices ranging from smartphones to automobiles
· commercial aircraft
· virtually all sectors of the transportation industry.
SpaceX Falcon 9:
· Falcon 9 is a two-stage-to-orbit medium lift launch vehicle designed and manufactured by SpaceX in the United States.
· It is powered by Merlin engines, also developed by SpaceX, burning liquid oxygen and rocket-grade kerosene propellants.
· Falcon 9 can lift payloads of up to 22,800 kilograms to low Earth orbit, 8,300 kg to geostationary transfer orbit (GTO) when expended, and 5,500 kg to GTO when the first stage is recovered.
Expected prelims question:
Consider the following statements
1. GPS 3 satellite IS a high power positioning satellite launched by US.
2. The satellite would provide data for use by devices ranging from smartphones to automobiles
Which of the following statements are/is correct?
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
c) Both 1 and 2
d) None of above
Ans - c
Expected mains question:
GPS satellite of US designed to beam higher-power positioning, navigation and timing signals around the world. critically analyse its impacts on its neighbouring countries.