Five BrahMos NG Missiles All Set To Be Integrated With Su-30MKI Fighters
What in News:
· Five missiles of the next-generation version of the BrahMos could be integrated with the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) Sukhoi 30-MKI fighters.
About the News:
· The BrahMos NG is a lighter version of the supersonic missile, and will first be integrated with the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas.
· The move is expected to bolster the IAF’s future fighting capabilities against any threat from China or Pakistan.
· The standard BrahMos missile has a range of 300 km and can travel at speeds of up to 2.9 mach.
· However, the NG version is much faster, capable of reaching speeds of up to 3.5 mach.
· The new BrahMos NG missiles will provide future-ready air dominance to the Indian Air Force.
· The design and development of the BrahMos NG is being done by the DRDO.
· Another advantage of the new version is that it will cost only half as much as the existing model.
· Being light-weight, the BrahMos NG will also be easier to adjust according to the weight carrying limitation of the LCA Tejas.
· The new BraMos NG missile will provide the IAF teeth to particularly target enemy AWACS (Airborne Early Warning and Control System), refuelling and transport aircraft.
· The NG version will also be capable of being fitted on to submarines and torpedo tubes.
Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas:
· The HAL Tejas is an Indian single-seat, single-jet engine, multirole light fighter.
· Designed by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for the Indian Air Force and Indian Navy.
· In 2003, the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) was officially named “Tejas”.
· It provides high maneuverability.
· It is the smallest and lightest in its class of contemporary supersonic combat aircraft.
Sukhoi 30-MKI fighter:
· The Sukhoi Su-30MKI (NATO reporting name: Flanker-H) is a twinjet multirole air superiority.
· fighter developed by Russia's Sukhoi and built under licence by India's Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for the Indian Air Force (IAF).
· A variant of the Sukhoi Su-30, it is a heavy, all-weather, long-range fighter.
Expected prelims question:
Consider the following statements:
1. BrahMos NG is a lighter version of the supersonic missile
2. HAL Tejas is an Indian single-seat, single-jet engine, multirole light fighter.
Which of the above statement is/are correct?
a) Only 1
c) Both 1 and 2
d) None of the above
Ans – c
Expected mains question:
Critically Analyse the need of procurement of defence equipments by India Military. How far is ‘’Made in India’’ initiative was successful in indigenous development of Military Weapons.