Army develops night vision AI device for border jawans
What in news:
· Soldiers guarding the border will soon get the aide of artificial intelligence.
· The Army Design Bureau (ADB) has developed a device which will warn soldiers of unusual activity across difficult terrains and high altitude borders.
· “The ADB has developed an artificial intelligence-based (AI) personalised night vision device which will be helmet mounted and will warn soldiers on duty.
· A wristband-like device will vibrate once the device picks up signs of any movement in the soldier’s line of sight.
· A large portion of India’s borders are in difficult terrains and at high altitudes with a restricted line of sight.
· Soldiers deployed in these areas keep a physical watch on enemy movements and suspicious activities.
· This wears out the soldiers physically and psychologically.
· A senior officer said that such seminars started in 2015 after Prime Minister Narendra Modi participated in the Army Day function.
· Modi said that the Army Day should involve academic engagement to increase the Army’s capacity and capability. Since then ARTECH Seminar started.
· The night vision device will boost the capabilities of soldiers even during dark winter nights.
· The idea to develop such a device was first mooted during the Army Technology (ARTECH) seminar in 2016.
· Soldiers at the border also face difficulty while dealing with the Chinese PLA soldiers.
· Mandarin is a complex language and there is a limited number of people who can translate.
· A device has been developed which will help soldiers deployed along the 3,488-kilometre long Line of Actual Control with China.
· Army developed a live translator which will translate Mandarin to Indian languages while Indian Army soldiers interact with the Chinese soldiers.”
· At present, the translation device available is dependent on the internet and connectivity is an issue in the border areas.
Army Design Bureau(ADB)
· ADB is an independent body and will be headed by a Major General as a part of ‘Make in India’ programme.
· ADB will provide a better understanding of the Army’s requirements to the academia, research organisations and the industry for developing high tech defence products.
· It will function as the Army’s interface with leading research institutions such as IITs, DRDO, academia, Defence Public Sector Units and the industry to enable them to understand and appreciate the Army’s need.
· Artificial intelligence (AI) is an area of computer science that emphasizes the creation of intelligent machines that work and react like humans.
· Some of the activities computers with artificial intelligence are designed for include:
· Speech recognition
· Problem solving
· Artificial intelligence is a branch of computer science that aims to create intelligent machines.
· It has become an essential part of the technology industry.
Expected prelims question
Consider the following statements
1. Artificial intelligence (AI) is an area of computer science that related of intelligent machines.
2. Learning, problem solving are few of the activities possible by Artificial intelligence.
Which of the above statements are correct.
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
c) Both 1 and 2
d) None of the above.
Ans - c
Expected mains question
What do you understand by term Artificial intelligence. discuss its applications in Indian Army